Virtual Visit to the Alaskan Iditarod

I chose Michi as my musher to follow in the Iditarod.  He was born in Japan.  He hiked every summer.  I chose him because he is Japanese.

I read Kavik during the Iditarod.  Kavik is a hurt wolf pup who is in a cage and is very smart.  I made the prediction that Kavik will get along with the people.  I predicted this because he is treated like a pet.  The dad said that a people doctor would not want to treat a hurt dog.  He would think it was a wolf!  I thought the most exciting part was when he goes to see the doctor because you just don’t know if he will heal or die.

I learned a lot about mushing during the race.  Sled dogs have to have a lot of calories to run.  If a musher’s dog is hurt, he gets dropped out to go home.  You have to win with at least five dogs.  If you finish, you get a prize.  You can have two lead dogs.  If your team quits, you should quit too.

I made a list of strong Iditarod verbs to use in my writing.  I chose eat, feed, slide, howl, run, sleep, snore, leap, sit, and shine.

I compared the sport of mushing to a sport I enjoy, writing.  Writing is different because you can do it anytime, no animals are needed, it is fantasy, and you can do it anywhere.  Mushing is different because only dogs are needed and you have to stay on the trail for the race.  They are alike because you can get awards for both, and men and women can do them both.

5 thoughts on “Virtual Visit to the Alaskan Iditarod

1. Hi,
    Wow! Your post is filled with so many wonderful tidbits that I will share with my own students next week.

My favorites are your list of strong verbs and the book recommendation for Kavik. I also love your comparison between writing and mushing. You made surprising and strong observations between both.

You clearly enjoy both of the activities in your post and I enjoyed reading and learning from you.
    Keep the great posts coming!
    Mrs. D
    STUBC commenter
    Cave Creek, Arizona

• Hi, Mrs. D.!
      Thank you for the great detail in your compliment. It encouraged me as a writer.

I think Kavik is really challenging, but I recommend it to your students.

Thank you,
      Bee Buzzer

2. Hello there. I am a volunteer commenter for the Student Blogging Challenge. You are almost at the end of the challenge. It has been great to see how students have progressed as bloggers in just 9 weeks!

You have certainly read your book like a writer would, paying attention to details and noting vocabulary. I hope you continue to enjoy reading and writing; you’re off to a good start!

Cheers,
    Mrs. Fitzgerald
    Librarian
    Cairo American College, Egypt.

3. Hi, Mrs. Fitzgerald,

I was so excited to see your comment because I am half Egyptian! I like Egyptian food a lot. My Tata makes great falafel, kibbeh, and kofta.

I like books a lot. What is your favorite topic in your library?

Thanks,
    Bee Buzzer